Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On the Set: A Day With Joel Harlow By Matthew Sherin


Cinema Makeup School graduate and intern Matthew Sherin gives an account of his experiences working with famous Special FX makeup artist Joel Harlow. See what he had to say about the well known artist after the jump.
As a recent June 2010 graduate of Cinema Makeup School, I have been working as a lab intern for special effects. Last week Joel Harlow visited CMS for a trial run for an upcoming open class event. I was only in charge of the technical side of the event, meeting and helping Joel Harlow set up, but I ended up having the opportunity to assist in the application process. Special effects make-up artist Joel Harlow is best known for his work on the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Alice in Wonderland, Green Lantern, and Inception. The interactive open class that is being rescheduled will feature an old age 12 piece silicone appliance make-up of the “Creepy” comic book character “Uncle Creepy.” For the trial run, the make-up application and removal was very time-consuming. It was a privilege to interact one-on-one with an academy award winning artist. After I tested all the equipment for the upcoming event, I was thrilled to assist him with blending edges and gluing, as well as removing.  I was grateful to hear from his assistants that Joel was impressed with my work and how knowledgeable I was of the processes and materials I obtained while attending CMS and while working as an intern.  We went back to his studio to drop off the equipment and then I was invited to dinner with Joel and his crew. It was a once in a life-time experience that I wouldn’t have been able to have if I didn’t attend Cinema Makeup School.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews